About Me

My photo
Hi, welcome to my blog. I'm a writer of poetry, prose and plays but my best known work is children's fiction. My most popular books are the Selby series and the Emily Eyefinger series. This blog is intended as an entertaining collection of thoughts and pictures from here in Australia and from my travels in other parts of the world. I hope you enjoy it. (For more information have a look at my website.)

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Margaret Throsby interview

On July 12th I was interviewed on Margaret Throsby's ABC Classic FM "Mornings" interview show. This was a great thrill for me having listened to Margaret on the radio ever since I moved to Australia thirty seven years ago. It gave me the opportunity to talk about my life and to play some of my favourite music. I confess that I was nervous ahead of time but, in the event, it couldn't have been easier. Margaret such a great interviewer which made it a real delight. And of course she's as gorgeous as ever.



The main focus for me was Monkey Baa's play, "Emily Eyefinger", which has been playing at the Seymour Centre in Sydney. It's now touring New South Wales, starting this week in Wagga Wagga and Griffith and finally ending up in Melbourne. The play has been great fun, and I didn't have to do anything---well, apart from writing the Emily Eyefinger books. The success of the play, and it's almost sold out everywhere, is all down to the very clever people at Monkey Baa.

If you'd like to hear the ABC interview click here. And you'll get to hear the third (rondeau)movement of Francois Boieldieu's Concert for Harp and Strings in C into the bargain. How often does that happen? (Apparently this piece is one of Margaret's favourites too.)

Click here to see "Emily Eyefinger's" complete schedule. "Emily Eyefinger" be back in Sydney---Parramatta and Penrith---for a short season.

5 comments:

Richard Tulloch said...

Good choice of music, Duncan. I remember the Tom Stoppard line in The Real Thing where a famously clever writer is asked to choose a desert island disc and is forced to admit that he'd really most like Da Doo Ron Ron.

Duncan Ball said...

Richard, I'd have had her play "Papa Oom Mow Mow" but we ran out of time. I wonder if the ABC owns a copy. Cheers, Duncan

Lynn said...

Hi Duncan, how exciting that Emily has made it to the stage. It looks like such fun, a story just made for the theatre. Unfortunately it isn’t coming as far north as where I live. Love the look of the cake. What did it taste like?

Duncan Ball said...

Hi Lynn, I guess there's nothing else to do except move back to Sydney. Or get Monkey Baa to come to where you are. The cake was great. It was very very rich---like a big brownie---so the slab of it I took home lasted forever. Thanks for your comment. Duncan

Anna said...

hi duncan,i love your selby books because they are interesting that you have to know what happens next.