About Me

My photo
Hi, welcome to my blog. I'm a writer of poetry, prose and plays but my best known work is children's fiction. My most popular books are the Selby series and the Emily Eyefinger series. This blog is intended as an entertaining collection of thoughts and pictures from here in Australia and from my travels in other parts of the world. I hope you enjoy it. (For more information have a look at my website.)

Monday, June 17, 2013

Street Art of Newtown

Newtown, in Sydney, has to be the capital of Australian street art. Or maybe I just notice it more because Newtown is close to where I live and I spent a lot of time there. And for good reason: it has a vibrant cafe and street-culture so it's a good place to go walking. And back streets and lane ways are where where the street art action is.

Parked cars, trees and signs are a problem when photographing
street art.
I'm a late convert to the world of street art I think because it comes from dark places that I'm only dimly aware of: the culture of action graphic novels ("comic books" if you're over forty) and the internet blog-playgrounds of budding teenage fantasy artists.

Whether it's original or lifted from a graphic novel
street art can pack a punch.
Most of the images are lost on me but I guess it's the same with a lot of art. I'm for look and like---or not like. Life's too short to try to psycho-analyse artists.

Nefrititi is thinking something. I can make out a backwards 3, a 4 and a 2.
Still, you have to be impressed by some of the techniques. Of course they're not all Renaissance frescoes.

He's hot.
I do tend to like the spare images that don't cover everything and scream at you and which sometimes make use of a natural feature such as a crack in a wall or a window or a drainpipe.

This is a piece of a larger work. The message in the bottle in very poignant:
"Dear Tanja, I'm smiling across stormy waters to be..."
I'm not as fond of walls with a name or word emblazoned on it in gigantic, shaded saw-tooth letters, no matter how expertly they're been painted even if I can make out what they say. They're just super-size tagging.

This is also just a piece of a larger work that looks like an
illustration of a dystopian world from a fantasy novel.
I live in a house that has a big side wall on the street, ideally suited for street art, but I admit that I try to keep it just the way it is. When it does get tagged---and it does-- I'm out there quick-smart with a bucket of paint to paint it out.

If you know who this guy is, please leave me a comment.
The City of Sydney has an Aerosol Art and Graffiti Policy and crews that paint out unwanted graffiti. They must have a lot of paint on hand because they're pretty good at matching any wall colour. They do try to determine whether what they're about to paint over qualified as artwork so the "best" works remain for us lane-crawler street art voyeurs.

See pequevrs.blogspot.com for more art by this artist.
Some of these artworks are commissioned and done with the permission of the owners of the walls but others just magically appear. Garage roller doors are favourite places for the latter.


Stencil have the advantage of being quick.
Stencils are good for commando raids but they're not all as clever as Banksy.




It's sad to see a work like this tagged by every teenager carrying
a Sharpie or a Copic Marker.

There are times when I wish I knew the story.



This is only half of a larger work.

Once again, I couldn't get the whole image because of parked cars.


Finally, a reference that I recognise.
For more Newtown Street art images, click here

4 comments:

Richard Tulloch said...

I quite agree that the best works are the simple ones with a reference to the place, if possible incorporating some feature already on the wall - a drainpipe, ventilator, weedy bush or whatever.

The ones I can't stand are the tags, people just writing their names, however elaborate the lettering. I'm yet to see one of these I admire.

Nice post, Duncan. I too and starting to seek out street art wherever I can find it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these great pieces of art, Duncan. We'd seen quite a bit of street art in Newtown, but a lot of these were new to me.

Jeroen

P.S. I totally agree on life being too short to psycho-analyse artists.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Some great pieces here that I haven't yet seen. I have spent a few evenings street-art-spotting in Newtown myself. I agree that it's easy to be an ambivalent/ NIMBY street art lover. I must say that my recent experience of discovering a new piece being constructed right across from my front door one morning, left me somewhat in awe of the casual speed in which street art appears. I quite like the image, which has not yet been spoiled by new tags, and it was fun to exchange what I interpreted as a conspiratorial nod with the artists as they worked. There is quite a lot of street art in the area where I live, so I guess pervasiveness in some way shifts your expectations and reactions to new work emerging close to your house. I'm quite proud of "my" street art; I feel some sort of custodianship towards it. I also rent rather than own and am a bit of a (often overly) liberal minded type, both of which influence my reaction I guess. Colourful thought-provoking blog Duncan. Thanks :) Joules

Anonymous said...

Hello! This is Timothy, a student from Trinity Grammar Prep School. You visited recently. I find your trips very interesting, especially about the Lobsters at Maine. I understand how such cold weather could affect the lobsters! I have never been lobster catching or been to Maine. Also I can see you have taken pictures of so much street art! It looks AMAZING! Anyway, I really enjoyed your visit to my school, and I also really enjoy your website, especially this blog section.
Thanks!!!