About Me

My photo
Hi, welcome to my blog. I'm a writer of poetry, prose and plays but my best known work is children's fiction. My most popular books are the Selby series and the Emily Eyefinger series. This blog is intended as an entertaining collection of thoughts and pictures from here in Australia and from my travels in other parts of the world. I hope you enjoy it. (For more information have a look at my website.)

Monday, April 23, 2012

Dana Carpenter, photographer extraordinaire

I've always loved old photographs so I couldn't resist buying forty 4 by 5 inch glass negatives from an antique store in Vermont many years ago. Judging from some with dates they were taken around 1900 and were of country people in rural settings. The photographer was not identified. When I got them home and made some contact prints in my make-shift darkroom (the negatives were too big more my enlarger) I realised what wonderful photographs they were. Had I stumbled across the lost years of Edward Steichen or Alfred Stieglitz?

When I moved to Australia I brought the contact prints with me but left the heavy negatives in storage in the USA. Recently I scanned the prints and used Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6 to get rid of dust spots and to see if I could get the best out of the images.


But who had taken these photos?

There was a clue. One of the photos mentioned "Carpenter's Grip". My son, Eliot, got onto the internet and just happened to find an antique bottle of this cold and flu remedy for sale. It seems the maker of this elixir had been a druggist  for many years in Middletown Springs, Vermont. Searches for his name led to an article in an old newspaper and information about the town from the website of the Middletown Springs Historical Society. One bit of information clinched it for me: Dana Carpenter had been an amateur photographer. I'm now convinced that the photos are his.

The clue to the name of the photographer.
Carpenter was a man of many interests and talents. He owned and ran the drug store, where he sold Carpenter's Grip but---typical of American drug stores---his store was more than a dispensary of medicine. It was the local ice cream emporium and, when the technology arrived in town, it held the local telephone switchboard. Carpenter was also the linesman, using trees and the occasional pole to string the wires to surrounding farms. As well as being a photographer he had a keen interest in botany and corresponded with other amateur scientists around the world. Perhaps his singing was his great failing.  He sang in the local Congregational Church choir where it was said that he couldn't "carry a true melody or produce a tone that did not sound like a she-bear in distress."

Below are some more of Dana Carpenter's photos (I've spared you the one of the charred corpse.):

Girl picking daisies or black-eyed susans.

Retirement before the age of television.

A very trusting Red Squirrel.


Night soil men or maple sugar collectors?

Feeding a lamb with a baby bottle.



The first car to come to town?



In the 110 years since these photos were taken rural Vermont has changed. Cars have replaced horses, the dairy industry is nearly dead, the streets are paved, bulky skirts and baggy woollen pants have given way to jeans, and hard physical labour has been replaced by computer drudgery. And now of course the world is in 256-bit colour. It's interesting to speculate on what life may have been like back then. Were the people like us? Were these happier times? Vermonters of that era were well fed and had a good life-span. We have better medicines now but, as for a cure for the common cold, "Carpenter's Grip" may have been just as good as anything we have now. We can never really know.

In any event, all thanks to Dana Carpenter, drug-store-proprietor, bottler of "Carpenter's Grip", ice-cream maker, telephone manager, amateur botanist, and---not least---photographer extraordinaire for giving us a glimpse into a vanished world.

6 comments:

Antonina said...

Amazing photos, Duncan. They certainly capture another era. I wonder if a museum in Vermont could shed more light on the subjects or even the photographer.

Pamela Freeman said...

These are great, Duncan! I love this kind of image - not famous people but the ordinary lives which distance and time transform into the extraordinary. As for night soil vs maple syrup - I vote for maple syrup as night soil collectors typically wore a cap with a kind of legionnaire's flap which protected their neck as they carried the night soil out to the cart.

Duncan Ball said...

Good point, Pamela. You'd think they'd be wearing some head and neck protection from spillage. "Honey bucket men" was another term for nigh-soil collectors. But, yes, I think it's more likely that they were collecting maple syrup. Probably not milk because the container is too small for bulk collection.

Lana Patterson said...

Ooh, I just love old photos! What a treasure you have. And you're a man of many talents, apparently, developing your own prints from the glass plates. Well done. I, too, love to collect old photos, mostly of my family and my husband's family. I love looking at them and wondering what life was really like back then. It's so intriguing to me. I have such a yearning to really know what life was like in the times of my ancestors. If there was such a thing as a time machine I would be the first one in line to go back in time. These photos definitely stir the imagination. Thanks for sharing them, Duncan.
PS In our neck of the woods in rural PA it was "honey bucket men". I can't ever recall hearing them called night-soil collectors, although I knew exactly what you were talking about when you captioned that photo. =)

Emma said...

Amazing!! I love finding old treasures like this and doing some research. I found a photograph at an op shop a few years ago and did some research on it also. Amazing the stories you can uncover.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating photographs of a past that feels so appealing, living as we do in the hectic rush of modern life.

I'm wondering if retiring pre tv to days of watching the world go by from a rocking chair on a veranda in a small town wasn't a whole lot nicer. These pictures seem to capture a simpler life which encouraged fresh air, family outings and community.

I guess these days most elderly people in Vermont would not feel secure enough to doze in a chair unless they were safely locked inside. I know we have access to endless information and stuff to entertain us these days, but that can hardly compensate for loss of regular contact with family, neighbours and community in our twilight years.

As a child in the 1980s in my small home town, I can remember being dragged by my mother from one old lady's house to another to eat cakes in endless stuffy lounge rooms and listen drowsily to their chatter. The back door was always unlocked and the tv was never on.

Housewives hardly exist anymore in the UK so who visits elderly people to chatter behind locked doors in 2012? What can we do to recapture some of those old community values and actions...you've really got me thinking Mr Ball!

Gypsyjuliet